There’s no better feeling than hitting the open water. Whether you’re going out for a fishing, paddling, sailing, or recreational adventure, there’s something amazing about getting out and getting wet. With that said, every good sea goer knows the importance of proper preparation. Securing your boat, establishing a float plan, and packing your life jackets or personal flotation devices are essential to a successful outing.
If you use an inflatable life jacket, you’re likely aware that there’s more to your preparation than simply throwing it in your boat. Follow the guide below to ensure your inflatable life jacket is ready for action.
Preparing for an outing with your inflatable life jacket doesn’t have to take long. Simply ask yourself the following questions to ensure all your bases are covered.
- Do I have the right life jacket for this activity?
- How does my life jacket work in the water? Have I tested it this season?
- Have I checked my inflatable life jacket for leaks in the last two months?
- Have I checked the status of the inflator and made sure that the CO2 cylinder is not punctured? Check both before each outing.
- Do I have the right size life jacket for each person (according to the label) and do they fit snugly?
- Have I checked my other inflatable life jackets in the same manner in which I checked my own?
Need Additional Supplies or Help?
If you answered yes to all of the questions above, congratulations! You’re ready to head out on the water.
If not, you may need to take some additional steps to make sure everything’s in check. Use the resources below to finish preparing:
- Looking to purchase an inflatable life jacket? Shop Bluestorm products here.
- Need to purchase a replacement re-arm kit? Find re-arm kits here.
- Want to learn how to properly re-arm and repackage your inflatable? Watch here.
- Seeking additional information on life jacket safety and requirements? Visit the U.S. Coast Guard’s website.